Lithuanians are one of the ethnic groups in the Baltic region. Lithuania has an estimated population of 3 million as of 2013, and its capital and largest city is Vilnius. The local language is Lithuanian, one of two living Baltic languages. An interesting fact about the language is that as far back as the beginning of the 19th century people noticed that Lithuanian was very alike to Sanskrit. Linguists around the world are still fascinated that the Lithuanian language has retained features of this ancient language and it hasn't really simplified much.
Many Lithuanians are multilingual; two-thirds of the population declare that they are able to speak at least two foreign languages. This exceeds the standard of the European Union by some times. Lithuania is a part of the European Union, the Council of Europe, a full member of the Schengen Agreement and NATO.
Although Lithuania does not have an enormous population, it has a large number of supermarkets. They are existing in every respect and compare satisfactorily with any of the supermarkets in other European cities. In our supermarkets you will not only be able to do all your shopping, but also have Food, meet friends or go to the movies.
Vilnius has recently become a great place for people who like shopping as a large number of supermarkets and malls have opened. Akropolis (a network of Lithuanian supermarkets) is one of these and is really worth a visit because there are a lot of shops and restaurants in one place and also an ice rink, bowling alley and movies. People come from miles around to do their Studies & celebration here.
Why study in Lithuania?
Lithuania is at a crossroad among west and east Europe, and throughout its difficult history has developed an exclusive culture, which encompasses both deep esteem for traditions and strong wish to study and innovate. We are members of EU and NATO, and are among the most bilingual and educated nations in Europe, however costs of living here are lower than in western countries, which makes Lithuania great for tourism, education or business.
Lithuanian people are simple, calm and can be somewhat inhibited with foreigners, but friendly and good-intended when you get to know them. We are keen to share our experience and the way of life with the rest of the world. If you plan to visit, you are certain to leave with dozens of new friends.
In Lithuania we believe Higher Education has to be of a high quality and reachable to all. To execute the objectives of this concept, a reorganization of the structures of Higher Education got ongoing in 2009. The objective was to improve the quality of education so that everyone in Lithuania who sought further Studies would have access to it.
The aims of the reorganization of Higher Education are to:
Improve the quality and financing of the education
Invest in the development of lecturers, expertise and skills
Inspire the development of integrated studies and business centers.
Promote Lithuanian education internationally
Optimise the association of Higher Education institutions and develop their administration
Improve the teaching base
National Visa D (Study Purpose)
A person who a student is arriving in the Republic of Lithuania to the successive full-time studies a higher education establishment operating in the Republic of Lithuania should apply for a multiple entry national visa D, which could be applied for only at Lithuanian Embassy.
- Completed and signed application form, 1 recent passport photo 35x45 colourful, with white background.
- A legal travel document - passport (containing at least 2 blank pages, issued within the previous 10 years, its period of validity must exceed the validity period of the requested visa by at least six months).
- Valid health insurance, covering the extent of stay, and its copy. The amount of medical insurance coverage - LTL 20 000 (EUR 5792, 40).
- A confirmed Air ticket reservation.
- Mediation letter from the higher educational institution in Lithuania.
- Registration documentation of the educational institution in Lithuania.
- Means of subsistence ( 150 EUR for every month of planned stay) in the Republic of Lithuania (minimum last 3 months original bank account statements/ pay slips etc.; in case of sponsorship - Affidavit of Sponsorship from parents/relatives and their bank account statements for minimum 3 months).
- No Consular fee applied.
IMPORTANT: The Lithuanian Embassy reserves the right to ask for additional documents.
Important information for student visa applicants
- Students/education advisors/agents are requested to strictly follow the below listed guidelines: Student visa applications are to be submitted personally.
- At the time of interview applicants should be able to motivate their purposes to study in Lithuania as well as acquaintance with the study programme. Non ability of an applicant to communicate in English may lead to visa rejection.
- All visa application supporting documents (air ticket reservation, travel insurance, financial documents etc.) have to be honest and valid. Visa application holding any fake/invalid document will lead to visa denial.
- Air ticket booking itineraries are to be printed on travel agent/airlines letter head or printed from the website. The flight itinerary must show the details of the traveler, flight details, and confirmation number.
- Cancelled air ticket reservations are considered invalid. Air ticket reservations will regularly be checked even after issuing visa, and if these are found cancelled, this may lead to cancellation of the visa, while informing airport authorities.
- Financial papers like bank account statements/ bank certificates etc. are to be submitted in original.
- Student visa application processing time is 14 days, if additional consultation is not required.
- Education consultants/Agents found submitting forged documents will be blacklisted.
Working hours of the Visa Section:
- Tuesday and Thursday 10.00-13.00 (for submission of documents)
- Monday and Friday 11.00-12.00 (for collection of documents)
- Reception time is only for submission of visa applications and supporting documents, no consultation on visas will be provided.
- Visa application and supporting documents shall be presented by the applicant personally. Visa applications received by post, fax or courier will not be considered by the consular officer.
- All documents shall be submitted along with its' copies. No copying services will be provided at the Visa Section.
- All documents shall be submitted in the same order as per the list of requirements given above.
- Please prepare carefully your visa application and supporting documents. Any missing information may lead to visa application decline, deny or process delay. Any missing or incomplete documentation will require you to come another time to the Visa Section.
- Visa application processing time- 14 days, if additional consultation is not required.